Licence Type

The premium on your car insurance depends a lot on the kind of licence you actually hold. It could be a Provisional, Full UK Licence, European Union or an International Licence.

Provisional Licence:

You can get this licence even before you have passed your theory test. You are allowed to get insurance on a private car in your own name, however you can only legally drive it as long as you are accompanied by a driver who has held a full UK licence for the past three years.

You can even add your spouse or partner on to the policy to get some discounts regardless of the fact that he or she drives that car or not (see the section: additional drivers for further information).

Full UK Licence:

Once you have got your provisional licence, passed your theory test and after an enormous anxiety managed to pass your practical test you can apply for the Car insurance netherlands .

If you are like most people, the moment you pass your practical test, you just can’t wait to get out and hit the road, but hey hold your horses. (This is of course specifically for young drivers).

First things first, do bear in mind that according to the insurance underwriters, driving on a full UK licence for the first year means you are more of a risk on the roads because you are not accompanied by anyone. So you might find that the premium is slightly higher than what you were paying when driving on a provisional, again it all depends on the kind of company you are dealing with.

If you have got a pass plus certificate, this would allow you to get some discounts which would mean the insurance price should become cheaper.

EU Licence:

If you had a European licence and have come to the UK, you are allowed to drive a private car and get insured based on your home country’s licence provided the driving category is clearly stated on it.

Alternatively you can at any time apply to change for a full UK licence.

The countries that are entitled to this are as follows:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, UK, and other EC countries.

Gibraltar and other designated countries.

As long as your home country’s licence is valid you are allowed to drive private cars in the UK. However you need to apply to exchange your licence for a Full UK one before the 12th month since you have been resident in the UK.

Other International Licences:

People holding international licences from Countries other than the ones stated above are allowed to drive on their home country licence or the International Driving Permit for 12 months after arrival in the UK, provided it remains valid during this time period. They would have to apply for a provisional driving licence, and then pass their practical test just before the 12th month since they first became resident in the UK.

To insure your car on a foreign licence will be classed as high risk, which will affect the cost of car insurance. From time to time I have dealt with experienced drivers on such licences paying fairly more than if it was to be insured on a Full UK licence. I would recommend to people to apply for a full UK licence as soon as possible to lower the premium.

I also recommend to people coming from overseas to get a few driving lessons before starting to drive in the UK in order to get familiar with the rules and regulations and feel more safe and secure whilst driving.